Sample Resume for an Experienced Systems Administrator
Learn more about IT careers.
Search for systems administrator jobs.
- Accomplished systems administrator with 12 years of experience managing server infrastructures and data-center operations across multiple platforms (Unix, Linux, Windows). Effectively plan, install, configure and optimize the IT infrastructure to consistently achieve high availability and performance.
- Proven ability to create and deliver solutions tied to business growth, organizational development and systems/network optimization. Skilled problem identifier and troubleshooter comfortable managing systems, projects and teams in a range of IT environments.
| || || |
Systems Administrator (2009 to present)
Systems/Network Consultant (2007 to 2009)
Hired as a full-time systems administrator following initial consulting role. Provide Windows/Unix/Linux administration, network operating center (NOC) administration, LAN/WAN/VPN administration, VMware administration, and intrusion detection and prevention (IDP) monitoring. Also manage FTP servers, AD/DNS, wireless access points and load balancers. Design and implement highly available (HA) and disaster recovery (DR) solutions for clients and employer.
- Evaluated and reconfigured company’s Unix/Linux/Oracle setup, including reallocating SAN disk space to engineer a robust, scalable solution.
- Improved system security through setup and ongoing maintenance of NetScreen-Security Manager. Delivered a cohesive solution managing Juniper firewalls and containing all IDP software.
- Researched, recommended and implemented network enhancements that improved system reliability and performance.
- Revamped NetBackup schedule and upgraded 15 Oracle servers. Optimized system availability (averaging 99.9% uptime) and equipped company with scalable systems to support fast business growth. vTrained employees across multiple departments on network operations including log-in procedures, network management software, permissions, printing issues, security and use of software.
XYZ Company — Sometown, PA, 2002 to 2007
System Administrator / Technology Team Lead / Delivery Manager
Consulted with client companies to provide Web-based and network solutions along with strategic planning and project leadership over systems migration, configuration, administration, upgrades and troubleshooting initiatives.
- Directed the implementation and performance tuning of Windows 2003 Server environment for client’s global operations. Delivered a major improvement over old VPN system that catapulted productivity of remote sales force.
- Led in-house and consultant team in large-scale Linux server upgrade for multinational consulting firm, which significantly enhanced system performance.
- Resolved a history of problematic network failure by troubleshooting LAN/WAN connections between multiple stores for a regional retail chain.
- Drove a 25% decrease in Web site downtime by migrating RaQ4 server sites and online stores to Linux server. Corrected server configuration problems, wrote scripts to ensure smooth server/reboot functioning, and assisted with a variety of Linux-based inquiries and concerns.
- Replaced major manufacturer’s vulnerable network with robust security through joint architecture of firewall and DHCP.
- Stabilized, expanded and protected client network and PC environment. Built new file servers to maximize Web hosting, terminal server, file/print sharing and domain control performance.
|DEF COMPANY — Sometown, PA |
GHI UNIVERSITY — Sometown, PA
JKL COMPANY — Sometown, PA
|Senior Network Analyst, 2002 |
Programmer Analyst, 2000 to 2002
Junior Systems Analyst / Desktop Support, 1999 to 2000
Bachelor of Science in Computer Information Systems (CIS), 2000
Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator (MCSA), In Progress
Sitting exam in February 2012