Do you feel as secure in your resume as you do in the systems you administer? View this sample resume for an experienced systems administrator below to learn how you can emphasize your strongest IT proficiencies. View and get a downloadable Word version of the resume template here.
Impress employers with a high-impact resume and cover letter from the experts at Monster's Resume Writing Service.
Search for systems administrator jobs.
CORY J. GUNTHER78 Wayfarer Circle | Sometown, NJ 07054 | Home: (555) 555-5555 | email@example.com
SYSTEMS ADMINISTRATORProven Success in Systems Optimization and Strategic IT Solutions
- Accomplished systems administrator with 12 years of experience managing server infrastructures and data-center operations across multiple platforms (Unix, Linux, Windows). Effectively plan, install, configure and optimize the IT infrastructure to consistently achieve high availability and performance.
- Proven ability to create and deliver solutions tied to business growth, organizational development and systems/network optimization. Skilled problem identifier and troubleshooter comfortable managing systems, projects and teams in a range of IT environments.
|_________________________||Highlights of IT Skills||_________________________|
- LAN/WAN/NOC Administration
- Project Management
- Workflow Planning
- Productivity Improvement
- Technical Support
- Systems Installation,
Configuration & Upgrading
- Security Solutions
- Database Design &
- NOS Patches &
- Training & Mentoring
ABC Company — Sometown, NJ, 2007 to present
Systems Administrator (2009 to present)
Systems/Network Consultant (2007 to 2009)
Hired as a full-time systems administrator following initial consulting role. Provide Windows/Unix/Linux administration, network operating center (NOC) administration, LAN/WAN/VPN administration, VMware administration, and intrusion detection and prevention (IDP) monitoring. Also manage FTP servers, AD/DNS, wireless access points and load balancers. Design and implement highly available (HA) and disaster recovery (DR) solutions for clients and employer.
- Evaluated and reconfigured company’s Unix/Linux/Oracle setup, including reallocating SAN disk space to engineer a robust, scalable solution.
- Improved system security through setup and ongoing maintenance of NetScreen-Security Manager. Delivered a cohesive solution managing Juniper firewalls and containing all IDP software.
- Researched, recommended and implemented network enhancements that improved system reliability and performance.
- Revamped NetBackup schedule and upgraded 15 Oracle servers. Optimized system availability (averaging 99.9% uptime) and equipped company with scalable systems to support fast business growth. vTrained employees across multiple departments on network operations including log-in procedures, network management software, permissions, printing issues, security and use of software.
XYZ Company — Sometown, PA, 2002 to 2007
System Administrator / Technology Team Lead / Delivery Manager
Consulted with client companies to provide Web-based and network solutions along with strategic planning and project leadership over systems migration, configuration, administration, upgrades and troubleshooting initiatives.
- Directed the implementation and performance tuning of Windows 2003 Server environment for client’s global operations. Delivered a major improvement over old VPN system that catapulted productivity of remote sales force.
- Led in-house and consultant team in large-scale Linux server upgrade for multinational consulting firm, which significantly enhanced system performance.
- Resolved a history of problematic network failure by troubleshooting LAN/WAN connections between multiple stores for a regional retail chain.
- Drove a 25% decrease in Web site downtime by migrating RaQ4 server sites and online stores to Linux server. Corrected server configuration problems, wrote scripts to ensure smooth server/reboot functioning, and assisted with a variety of Linux-based inquiries and concerns.
- Replaced major manufacturer’s vulnerable network with robust security through joint architecture of firewall and DHCP.
- Stabilized, expanded and protected client network and PC environment. Built new file servers to maximize Web hosting, terminal server, file/print sharing and domain control performance.
Excelled in early IT career, advancing through increasingly responsible roles including:
|______________________||Additional IT Experience||______________________|
|DEF COMPANY — Sometown, PA|
GHI UNIVERSITY — Sometown, PA
JKL COMPANY — Sometown, PA
|Senior Network Analyst, 2002|
Programmer Analyst, 2000 to 2002
Junior Systems Analyst / Desktop Support, 1999 to 2000
ABC UNIVERSITY — Sometown, PA
|_________________________||Education & Training||_________________________|
Bachelor of Science in Computer Information Systems (CIS), 2000
Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator (MCSA), In Progress
Sitting exam in February 2012
78 Wayfarer Circle | Sometown, NJ 07054 | Home: (555) 555-5555 | firstname.lastname@example.org