Sample Resume for a Social Worker
Impress employers with a high-impact resume and cover letter from the experts at Monster's Resume Writing Service.
15 Oak Road
San Diego, CA 11111
Service-focused social worker and program coordinator with a strong commitment to serving the needs of disadvantaged youth and adults, including homeless, emancipated youth and special-needs populations.
Excel in program and organizational planning, with documented success overcoming challenges of limited resources and financial constraints to design high-quality, cost-effective and comprehensive service offerings.
Skilled in building community support, key coalitions and strategic interagency partnerships. Backed by solid credentials (MSW) and equal strengths in program, personnel and case management.
Service Coordinator / Lead Case Manager / Case Manager
8/1999 - Present ABC Homeless Shelter, San Diego, CA
Progressed through a series of promotions, culminating in responsibility for the coordination of five transitional housing programs. Supervise a team of 12 social workers, case managers, group facilitators and direct-care staff. Develop and maintain strong community alliances with county/state agencies, police departments and youth-service programs.
- Demonstrated outstanding case management (caseload of up to 78) and dedication to clients, as evidenced by repeated promotions throughout tenure.
- Achieved a record of 95 percent enrollment in college/job-training programs among clients, propelling both individual and program success through subsequent income generation.
- Provided highly visible, caring client service that resulted in 100 percent of assigned clients remaining eligible for housing during tenure (zero evictions).
- Led turnaround of emancipated youth program from a 90 percent monthly turnover rate to a 10 percent monthly turnover rate within three months. Motivated program participants to earn high school diplomas/GEDs, enroll in community college or secure full-time employment.
- Developed proposal and delivered presentation that won $100,000 grant to overhaul one of agency’s Single Room Occupancy (SRO) facilities. Out-competed 75 other homeless shelters and youth programs to win corporate funding.
- Proved need for and acquired license that allowed agency to provide housing to emancipated youth with children. Retrofitted facility with childproof safety features and launched child-care programs carried out by certified child-care professional.
5/1998 - 7/1999 XYZ Agency, San Francisco, CA
Served on interdisciplinary team to provide case management for consumers housed in three community group home residences. Developed weekly group programs and maintained documentation to fulfill funding-source requirements.
- Designed and implemented creative group programs benefiting mentally handicapped consumers (ages 22 to 60) and enhancing their social skills and self-esteem.
- Launched an ongoing event agenda that included Circles Program, holiday celebrations, current events discussion groups, voting trips and numerous community excursions.
- Facilitated supportive services/counseling for client family members to address special concerns and ease the transition during home holiday visits.
- Forged community connections benefiting staff, clients and their families.
- Collaborated closely with interdisciplinary team members on development of appropriate case plans meeting individual client needs.
9/1996 - 5/1998 San Francisco State University, San Francisco, CA
Master of Social Work (MSW)
- Action Organization – San Francisco, CA (provides therapy to children with autism): Intern in the Behavior Therapy & Learning Center, 5/1997 to 5/1998
- Way Up Shelter Inc. – San Francisco, CA (homeless shelter): Case Manager, 12/1996 to 5/1997
9/1992 - 5/1996 UC Berkeley, Berkeley, CA
BA in Psychology, Minor in Women's Studies
|Skill Name||Skill Level||Last Used / Experience|
|Case Planning & Management||Expert||Currently used / 13 years|
|Client Advocacy||Expert||Currently used / 13 years|
|Community-Client Relations||Expert||Currently used / 13 years|
|Client Needs Assessment & Response||Expert||Currently used / 13 years|
|Community Outreach||Expert||Currently used / 13 years|
|Program Administration & Policy Development||Expert||Currently used / 11 years|
|Grant Program Management||Intermediate||Currently used / 11 years|
|Fundraising & Donor Relations||Expert||Currently used / 11 years|
|Licensing Issues & Regulatory Compliance||Expert||Currently used / 11 years|
|Staff Development & Supervision||Expert||Currently used / 11 years|
|Interagency Partnerships / Referrals||Expert||Currently used / 13 years|
|Life-Skills Counseling||Expert||Currently used / 11 years|
Respected builder, leader and member of interdisciplinary teams -- instill a shared sense of purpose to provide optimal services, resources and programs for those in need. Deeply committed to improving the quality of life for clients, with a special interest in providing case management services for homeless individuals.