Sample Resume for a Real Estate-to-Interior Design Career Change
Real estate agents can showcase new and transferable skills on their resumes to make a career change into interior design. View and download the Real Estate-to-Interior Design Career Change resume template in Word.
Learn more about real estate careers.
Impress employers with a high-impact resume and cover letter from the experts at Monster's Resume Writing Service.
AMY WEST, Interior Designer
12 Fairfield Ave. | Sometown, IL 60609
Phone: (555) 555-5555 | firstname.lastname@example.org
|Award-winning interior design student, upcoming BFA graduate and certified home stager who is transitioning from real estate sales to a career in interior design. Repeatedly recognized for creative, conceptual and analytical talents; AutoCAD and design proficiencies; and exemplary work ethic.||Demonstrated success transforming client ideas into beautiful, functional design solutions. Experienced in leading design projects from start to finish on time, on budget and with excellent quality. Offer expert home staging, client relations, sales and negotiation skills developed as a licensed real estate agent.
ABC INSTITUTE OF ART -- Sometown, IL
BFA Degree Candidate, Major in Interior Design (Expected Graduation: June 2010 / Current GPA: 3.7)
Completed Design Courses:
ABC DESIGN FIRM -- Sometown, IL
Interior design group specializing in commercial and retail design
Design Assistant, 6/09 to 8/09
Retained by one of Sometown's leading commercial design firms to fulfill a summer apprenticeship. Key Contributions:
- Completed two design concept and color scheme choices for assigned client (an upscale, regional women's wear boutique chain), winning acceptance and go-ahead for project.
- Developed entire design concept (including fixture/furniture selection, space planning and architectural details); ensured code compliance (commercial grade) of all fabrics and finishes; and delivered final presentation.
- Praised by both client and design firm for the creativity, functionality, cost-effectiveness and vision of finished project.
- Won first place in student design competition for "Best Hotel Lobby Design." Singled out among 50+ submitted designs as the favorite by client sponsor (a four-star resort) and awarded $1,500 scholarship.
- Won second place in regional lighting design competition. Built custom lighting fixture from scratch to earn recognition by independent panel of professionals (including three licensed interior designers) as one of the best designs among 45 submitted entries.
- Conceptualized elegant, multitonal commercial wall covering using "green" materials that won honorable mention (out of 75+ entries) in design competition. Incorporated flexibility into design to enable its manufacture in virtually any color scheme.
- Completed a range of projects for studio classes, including:
- Advanced Residential Design Studio (family room)
- Residential Design Studio (kitchen and bathroom)
- Commercial Design Studio (corporate office)
- Hospitality Studio (restaurant and wine bar)
- Special-Purposes Studio (daycare facility)
- Advanced Commercial Studio (retail space)
- Selected as project leader to design guest bedroom for "2009 Fall ASID Showcase House" (a biannual event sponsored by the American Society of Interior Designers). Led student team of four in all project phases to complete bedroom design for multimillion-dollar home in exclusive suburb. Delivered a luxurious design while remaining within budget of $3.50 per square foot.
- Consistently recognized for expertise in using AutoCAD to complete all drafting projects (including floor plans, elevations, finish boards, renderings and construction drawings).
XYZ REALTY -- Sometown, IL
Leading nationwide residential real estate firm
Licensed Realtor/Certified Home Stager, 2007 to Present
ABC REALTY ASSOCIATES -- Sometown, IL
Commercial/residential real estate firm
Licensed Realtor, 1999 to 2007
Represent both buyer and seller interests in the sale of new construction, resale, foreclosure and multifamily residential properties throughout the Sometown area. Match clients' needs with appropriate properties and provide exceptional service. Key Contributions:
- Demonstrated tenacity; ingenuity; and expert home staging, prospecting and relationship-building skills, generating strong sales results despite one of the most difficult real estate markets in recent history.
Earned credential as a certified home stager and leveraged design talents in transforming homes to give the best possible first impression to potential buyers. Efforts resulted in quicker sales (typically 6 weeks vs. the current 4.5-month average) and higher profits (exceeding area averages by 15 percent to 20 percent).
- Delivered multimillion-dollar annual revenue growth for the past decade and earned #1 rankings and numerous awards throughout career, including:
- Top Listing Agent of the Year (out of 50-member XYZ Realty team), 2008.
- Five-time honors as Top Salesperson of the Year (out of realtor teams of up to 32), 2002, 2004-2007.
- Seven "Multimillion-Dollar Producer" awards from the Association of Realtors, 2002-2008.