Do you have sharp software diagnostic skills but come up a little short in resume-writing skills? Get inspired by this sample resume for a midlevel software QA tester below. View and get a downloadable Word version of the resume template here.
Impress employers with a high-impact resume and cover letter from the experts at Monster's Resume Writing Service.
Search for QA software tester jobs.
CHARLES W. SIMPSON
9 Vail Drive | Sometown, OH 45238 | Home: 555.555.5555 | Cell: 555.555.1234
EXPERIENCED QA TESTER
- Solutions-focused QA tester with four years of automation experience; high-level proficiency with QC and QTP toolsets; and a foundation in Java, VB Script, SQL, Perl, Linux/Unix and monitoring tools.
- Excel in creating test plans and writing/running automated test scripts to pinpoint software defects, track bugs, close open defects and validate functionality. Serve as a value-adding member of QA teams.
TECHNOLOGY & TESTING PROFICIENCIES
|Testing Tools:||HP QuickTest Professional, HP Quality Center|
|Monitoring Tools:||HP SiteScope, Wily Introscope, dynaTrace, Gomez|
|Testing Methodologies:||System Testing, Stress Testing, Load Testing, Reliability Testing, Feature Testing, Acceptance Testing, Functionality Testing, Validation|
|Scripting Tools:||Java, SQL, Unix Shell Scripting, Perl Scripting, VB Scripting|
|Systems:||Unix, Linux, Windows|
QA TESTING EXPERIENCE
ABC COMPANY -- Sometown, OH
Leading business solutions software provider with $18B in annual revenue
Software Quality Assurance Tester, 2/08 to Present
Junior Quality Assurance Tester, 12/07 to 2/08
Provide lifecycle management of automated testing projects on software and large database applications using QTP (including Object Spy), QC and various monitoring and scripting tools. Maintain cooperative relationships with developers and communicate with both technical and nontechnical stakeholders.
Highlights of Accomplishments:
- Promoted from junior QA tester role within two months of hire, outpacing ABC’s typical six-month timeline for junior testers. Recognized for developing excellent test plans/scripts and rapidly discovering defects.
- Contributed to high-reliability technology releases as a result of thorough testing that helped maintain ABC’s industry-leading sales ranking, market share and customer-satisfaction rating.
- Isolated deeply embedded software flaw in new version of company’s cornerstone software product prior to its 2010 release, saving approximately $150K in product-replacement costs.
- Employed a “test-to-break” approach on testing initiatives and clarified ambiguous requirements to ensure the effectiveness of all test plans.
- Improved the documentation of QA testing practices to enhance their repeatability, saving time and money and encouraging testing standardization and best practices.
Taught English at ABC High School (Sometown, OH) while pursuing computer science degree, 8/05 to 6/07.
XYZ University -- Sometown, OH
BS in Computer Science (GPA in Major: 3.8), 12/07
BA in Education (Minor in English), 6/05