Sample Resume for a Human Resources Generalist
Get inspiration for your job search -- and an edge in landing the HR generalist job you want -- by checking out this sample resume for a human resources generalist below and downloading the resume template in Word here.
Learn more about human resources careers.
1414 Marcy Drive | Sometown, CA 90000 | 714-555-5555 | email@example.com
- Certified Professional in Human Resources (PHR) with additional state certification in California (PHR-CA) offering a 14-year HR career distinguished by commended performance and proven results.
- Extensive background in HR generalist affairs, including experience in employee recruitment and retention, staff development, mediation, conflict resolution, benefits and compensation, HR records management, HR policies development and legal compliance.
- Demonstrated success in negotiating win-win compromises, developing teambuilding programs, and writing personnel manuals, corporate policies, job descriptions and management reports.
| || || |
ABC COMPANY -- Los Angeles, CA
Provides voice and data communications systems for small and mid-sized companies.
HR Generalist, 2002-present
Recruited to help open new company branch in Los Angeles, guiding the startup and management of a full spectrum of HR operations, systems and programs. Worked with senior management to create HR policies and procedures; recruit employees; create group benefits databases; and develop orientation, training and incentive programs. Manage leave-of-absence programs and personnel records; administer benefits enrollment and programs; administer HR budget; and handle HR generalist workplace issues.
- Played a key role in ensuring the successful launch of Los Angeles office. Structured and implemented programs and policies in the areas of training, compensation structures, benefits packages, incentives and new-employee orientation.
- Fostered a teamwork/open-door environment conducive to positive dialogue across the organization. Personal efforts were cited as the driving force behind branch's employee-retention rate of 89% within an industry where high turnover is the norm.
- Negotiated approximately 50 salary offers and dozens of sign-on bonuses/relocation packages annually at both the exempt and nonexempt level.
- Brought workers' compensation program into full compliance. Instituted preferred providers list and trained managers and associates on procedures to follow in case of injury.
- Reduced benefits costs by 15% annually through meticulous recordkeeping and ensuring that company did not pay for benefits for which employees were ineligible.
- Wrote employee manual covering issues including disciplinary procedures, code of conduct, FMLA policy and benefits information.
- Introduced company's first formal performance review program, creating a flexible and well-received tool that was later adopted company-wide.
- Revised job descriptions across all levels and 50+ categories. "Shadowed" and interviewed employees to construct an accurate picture of the duties and skills required for each position.
Leading home healthcare company employing 4,500 professionals.
HR Representative, 1997-2002
HR Assistant, 1995-1997
Promoted to fulfill a broad range of HR functions, including recruiting and training employees, administering benefits, overseeing disciplinary action and managing HR records. Co-chaired annual flex-enrollment meetings, resolved conflicts between employees and insurance carriers, coordinated health fairs to promote employee wellness and performed exit interviews.
- Trained 25-member management team on interviewing techniques and best practices, conducting workshops and one-on-one coaching sessions that contributed to sound hiring decisions.
- Co-developed company's first-ever standardized disciplinary procedures and tracking system that insulated company from legal risk and ensured consistent and fair discipline processes.
- Devised creative and cost-effective incentive and morale-boosting programs (including special events and a tiered awards structure) that increased employee satisfaction and productivity.
- Reworked new-hire orientation program to include HR information and company resources.
- Saved company thousands of dollars every month by reducing reliance on employment agencies. Brought the majority of formerly outsourced recruiting functions in-house to reduce billable hours from 200+ to less than 15 per month.
CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY -- Northridge, CA
Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Psychology (with honors), 1994
Activities: Worked concurrently during college as a sales rep and team supervisor for ABC Video Store.
- PHR-CA (Professional in Human Resources with CA state-specific certification), 2001
- PHR (Professional in Human Resources), 1999
- Complete ongoing training in the areas of compensation and benefits, employee and labor relations, leaves of absence, workers' compensation and workplace safety/security.
- Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM)
- Staffing Management Association (SMA) of Southern CA
- HRIS applications (UltiPro, PeopleSoft Enterprise Human Resources, ADP)
- MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Outlook)