Need to record your medical coding expertise on your resume for your next job in health information technology? Check out our sample resume for a health information technician below and get a downloadable Word version of the resume template here.
Impress employers with a high-impact resume and cover letter from the experts at Monster's Resume Writing Service.
14 Hastings Way
Springfield, VA 11111
Dedicated health information technician (HIT) with seven years of acute-care hospital medical records coding experience. Additional four years of experience as a medical office administrative manager in a rehabilitation setting. Completed full-time HIT program in 2002. Qualifications include:
- Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) certification
- AAS degree in Health Information Technology
- Expertise in ICD-9-CM and CPT coding
- Knowledge of licensing, reimbursement and accreditation standards
Health Information Technician
9/2002-Present, Delphi Community Hospital, Springfield, VA
Select, assign and audit diagnostic and procedure codes to patient records for a 362-bed, acute-care hospital. Manage chart completion (ICD-9-CM and CPT coding/abstracting), chart assembly and analysis, patient admission and patient information privacy/security. Work collaboratively with patient account department to ensure accurate billing and resolve claim denials and medical-necessity issues. Review medical documentation and consult with healthcare providers when documentation is inadequate/unclear for coding purposes.
- Helped hospital pass JCAHO inspections by consistently meeting JCAHO requirements. Earned employee-recognition award in 2004 for accurate records management contributing to positive JCAHO survey.
- Maximized reimbursement by ensuring accurate ICD-9-CM and CPT coding and conducting regular quality audits of providers' selected codes compared to chart documentation.
- Ensured records met quality and risk-management requirements by participating in hospital chart review committee.
- Rapidly mastered SoftMed ClinTrac® Clinical Abstracting and 3M clinical encoders software for fast, accurate coding and abstracting.
- Provided ongoing training to staff on intricacies of insurance submissions, codes and intake procedures to minimize rejections for referral- or registration-related reasons.
8/1996-8/2000, XYZ Rehabilitation Agency, Springfield, VA
In charge of medical billing, 22-person payroll, ADR processing, patient/staff scheduling and supply inventories for agency providing outpatient rehabilitation services.
- Collected $30,000 in bad debt from previously denied Medicaid payments through persistent follow-through and thorough ADR review. Provided Medicaid with the documentation needed to reverse prior "deny" decisions.
- Helped raise state survey to "superior" rating with zero deficiencies. Resolved issues with residents' bank accounts/funds access and ensured all personnel files met regulatory compliance.
- Marketed agency's new Alzheimer's program and unique quality-of-life features that resulted in facility tour requests and increased census by 9.2 percent.
- Assisted in the planning and implementation of new program offering physical, occupational and short-term therapeutic services for patients.
- Built mutually respectful relationships with third-party payers, HMOs, PPOs, Medicare, Medicaid, workers' compensation (WC) carriers and independent commercial carriers.
9/2000-6/2002, Northern Virginia Community College, Springfield, VA
Related Courses: Health Data Classification Systems I (ICD-9-CM and CPT), Medical Terminology, Health Information Systems, Human Biology, Human Pathology, Desktop Database Software, Intercultural Communication, Health Statistics, Quality Assurance/Health Care, Health Record Applications, Supervision and Management Practices for HIT, Clinical Practice, Advanced Coding and Reimbursement, Pharmacology for HIT
- Associate in Applied Science in Health Information Technology
- HIT Practicum: Completed 150-hour clinical practicum at Children's Hospital in Springfield, VA -- Program accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM), in association with the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA)
Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT), Chicago, IL
- Issued by American Health Information Management Association
- 7/2002-present: American Health Information Management Association
|Skill Name||Skill Level||Last Used/Experience|
|ICD-9-CM and CPT Coding||Expert||Currently used/7 years|
|DRG & APG Assignments||Expert||Currently used/7 years|
|HIPAA Regulations||Expert||Currently used/7 years|
|Insurance Reimbursement/ Collections||Expert||Currently used/7 years|
|Medicare/Medicaid Reimbursement||Expert||Currently used/7 years|
|Hospital Information Systems||Expert||Currently used/7 years|
|Medical, Pharmacology and Anatomy Terminology||Expert||Currently used/7 years|
|Chart Control, Access and Storage||Expert||Currently used/7 years|
|Chart Status Tracking and Assembly||Expert||Currently used/7 years|
|Clinical Data Analysis and Extraction||Expert||Currently used/7 years|
|Managed Care Regulations/JCAHO Guidelines||Expert||Currently used/7 years|
|Current HIM Technologies||Expert||Currently used/7 years|
Search for medical coding jobs.