Sample Resume for a Mid-Career Accounts Payable Specialist
Wondering if your finance resume adds up? Compare it to our sample resume for a mid-career accounts payable specialist and get inspired. View and download the Mid-Career Accounts Payable Specialist resume template in Word.
Impress employers with a high-impact resume and cover letter from the experts at Monster's Resume Writing Service.
Mid-Career Accounts Payable Specialist Resume Sample
P.O. Box 0000
Sometown, VA 20191
ENTERPRISING, HARD-WORKING AND TECHNICALLY SKILLED ACCOUNTS PAYABLE SPECIALIST known for accuracy, attention to detail and timeliness in managing disbursement functions for diverse-industry employers. A/P career spans 17 years of experience in manufacturing, retail, higher education and other industries and has included accountability for the processing of up to 20,000 invoices ($1M) per month. Backed by solid credentials (BS in accounting) and proficiencies in generally accepted accounting practices (GAAP) as well as MS Office Suite, Great Plains software, QuickBooks, ERP/EDI systems and SAP.
ABC INC. (Luxury brand retailer), Sometown, VA
MANUCORP (Large manufacturer), Sometown, VA
Accounts Payable Specialist, 2/02 to 5/09
For both employers, handled daily A/P processes; supervised A/P clerks; managed vendor/supplier relations; and oversaw the timely, accurate processing of invoices, purchase orders, expense reports, credit memos and payment transactions. Maintained adherence to corporate, accounting and GAAP standards; addressed escalated issues from employees and vendors regarding accounts payable; and ensured accurate and compliant A/P files and records in accordance with company policies and government regulations.
- Managed the accurate and timely processing of up to 20,000 invoices ($1M) per month for large, multi-site organizations. Assessed and closed A/P sub-ledger on a monthly basis, validated content and resolved various issues.
- Implemented next-generation technologies and process automations (including new EDI and ERP systems) to foster an environment of continuous improvement. Trained users and served as the primary "go-to" troubleshooter on these new systems, which propelled efficiency gains and significant time- and cost-savings.
- Facilitated "no-fault" internal and external audits as a result of sound recordkeeping and thorough documentation.
- Instituted thorough cross-checking of pack-lists, receivers and invoices that halted a previous history of thousands of dollars in overpayments to suppliers.
- Renegotiated payment terms with dozens of suppliers/vendors from Net 7 to Net 60 days for manufacturer emerging from bankruptcy. Improved cash flow and helped facilitate company's return to profitability.
- Composed effective accounting and ad-hoc reports summarizing A/P data for supply chain, HR and other departments.
- Consistently maintained accuracy in calculating figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions and percentages.
TEMP INC. (Temporary staffing agency), Sometown, VA
Accounts Payable Clerk, 1/97 to 1/02
Assumed responsibility for the full cycle accounts payable process in temporary contract positions filling in for absent, vacationing or unfilled A/P roles for a variety of companies. Worked in both short-term (two to four weeks) and long-term assignments (up to nine months) for manufacturers, nonprofit organizations, hotels/restaurants, schools, hospitals and other businesses. Handled data entry and general ledger work as well as bookkeeping and general clerical tasks.
- Achieved in-demand status as a sought-after A/P temp worker, with multiple companies requesting repeat or extended contracts and making offers of full-time employment at the culmination of initial temp assignment.
- Demonstrated the ability to fill in at a moment's notice, quickly mastering new systems, processes and workflows.
- Resolved months of backlogged work, restored order and organization to processes/records in disarray, researched and solved billing problems and corrected invoicing and journal entry errors that had previously been missed.
- Operated financial computer systems and furnished senior company executives with A/P liability summaries and cash flow reports that were consistently praised for their accuracy, user-friendliness and timeliness.
- Handled the processing, distribution, accuracy verification and maintenance of invoices, interfacing extensively with a nationwide network of vendors and suppliers.
XYZ UNIVERSITY (Public university), Sometown, VA
Accounts Payable Supervisor, 9/95 to 1/97
Accounts Payable Clerk, 5/92 to 9/95
Promoted to supervise accounts payable operations for XYZ University's College of Arts and Sciences, including payment of invoices, proofing of checks and communication with outside vendors. Participated in planning/implementing business policies and procedures to ensure proper internal controls, including adherence to budget control and compliance with tax requirements. Provided effective management of payables service to campus-wide organizations and served as primary backup to accounts payable manager.
- Assumed expanded responsibilities (concurrent with A/P duties) as the university's interim A/P manager and payroll administrator filling in during vacations and maternity leave.
- Formally recognized by university administration for injecting improvements into recordkeeping/controls that reversed a history of missed payment deadlines, lost invoices and lack of proper authorization on expenditures.
- Rebuilt trust with vendors/suppliers, repairing damaged relationships by ensuring timely, correct payments for all goods/services received.
XYZ UNIVERSITY, Sometown, VA
Bachelor of Science in Accounting, 1994
- Member, AAPA (American Accounts Payable Association), 2008 to Present
- Member, IAPP (International Accounts Payable Professionals), 2007 to Present