Systems administrators know how to troubleshoot technical issues, but resume solutions can be elusive. See this sample resume below to get ideas for upgrading your own resume. View and get a downloadable Word version of the resume template here.
Learn more about IT careers.
Impress employers with a high-impact resume and cover letter from the experts at Monster's Resume Writing Service.
Search for systems administrator jobs.
Martin Wang2590 North St. | Sometown, MI 49104 | 555.555.5555 | firstname.lastname@example.org
LINUX-CERTIFIED SYSTEMS ADMINISTRATOR
- Talented systems administrator offering four years of experience in a Unix/Linux environment and expertise in several flavors of Linux including Red Hat, CentOS, Gentoo Linux and Ubuntu.
- Solidly credentialed — achieved LPIC Level 2 Certification and earned an associate’s degree in IT.
- Strong grasp of computer security, assorted operating systems, numerous applications and mixed platforms.
- Systems and Network Administration
- System Security, Backup and Recovery
- Server Administration and Repair
- Mixed-Platform Environments
- Technical Infrastructure (LAN/WAN/VPN/NOC)
- LAMP and LAMR Deployments
- Programming and Scripting
- Workstation Installation/Configuration
- Open-Source Tools
- User Training and Support
LINUX PROFESSIONAL INSTITUTE (LPI)
- LPIC-2 (Advanced Linux Certification), 2008
- LPIC-1 (Junior Linux Certification), 2008
ABC Technical Institute (Online Program)
- AS in Information Technology, 2007
Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Unix, CentOS, Gentoo Linux, Ubuntu, Windows
MySQL; C++; Perl; Python; Bourne; Android; TCP/IP; DNS; DHCP; WINS; SMTP; NFS; VMware vSphere; WebSphere; Rumba; basic configuration of Cisco routers, hubs and switches
Avira AntiVir, Symantec Antivirus, Bitdefender, Microsoft Security Essentials, Avast, AVG, PC Tools Firewall, Sygate Personal Firewall Pro, Comodo Internet Security
ABC Company — Sometown, MI
Linux Systems Administrator, 2008 to Present
Support Desk Specialist, 2006 to 2008
Promoted to systems administrator role to lead a three-member IT team in configuring, troubleshooting and maintaining Linux and Unix infrastructure for a mid-sized educational services company. Provide ongoing management, performance-tuning and Tier 3 support for approximately 50 Linux and Unix systems. Achievement Highlights:
- Performance Tuning: Ensured that assigned systems were engineered, configured and optimized for maximum functionality and availability. Implemented solutions that reduced single points of failure and improved system uptime to 99.9% availability (up from previous high of 97.5%).
- Project Management: Led enterprisewide hardware/software installations; oversaw major server upgrade/expansion project that improved network access protection (NAP), terminal services and network performance; and integrated new technologies into existing data-center environments.
- Security: Strengthened system/network security and business-continuity planning as a member of company’s security incident response team.
- Troubleshooting: Rectified many issues by instituting best practices in system log analysis, backups, network operating center security, user account/permissions management and systems/software auditing.