Sample Resume for a Midlevel Systems Administrator
Learn more about IT careers.Impress employers with a high-impact resume and cover letter from the experts at Monster's Resume Writing Service.
Search for systems administrator jobs.
- Talented systems administrator offering four years of experience in a Unix/Linux environment and expertise in several flavors of Linux including Red Hat, CentOS, Gentoo Linux and Ubuntu.
- Solidly credentialed — achieved LPIC Level 2 Certification and earned an associate’s degree in IT.
- Strong grasp of computer security, assorted operating systems, numerous applications and mixed platforms.
LINUX PROFESSIONAL INSTITUTE (LPI)
ABC Technical Institute (Online Program)
Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Unix, CentOS, Gentoo Linux, Ubuntu, Windows
MySQL; C++; Perl; Python; Bourne; Android; TCP/IP; DNS; DHCP; WINS; SMTP; NFS; VMware vSphere; WebSphere; Rumba; basic configuration of Cisco routers, hubs and switches
Avira AntiVir, Symantec Antivirus, Bitdefender, Microsoft Security Essentials, Avast, AVG, PC Tools Firewall, Sygate Personal Firewall Pro, Comodo Internet Security
ABC Company — Sometown, MI
Linux Systems Administrator, 2008 to Present
Support Desk Specialist, 2006 to 2008
Promoted to systems administrator role to lead a three-member IT team in configuring, troubleshooting and maintaining Linux and Unix infrastructure for a mid-sized educational services company. Provide ongoing management, performance-tuning and Tier 3 support for approximately 50 Linux and Unix systems. Achievement Highlights:
- Performance Tuning: Ensured that assigned systems were engineered, configured and optimized for maximum functionality and availability. Implemented solutions that reduced single points of failure and improved system uptime to 99.9% availability (up from previous high of 97.5%).
- Project Management: Led enterprisewide hardware/software installations; oversaw major server upgrade/expansion project that improved network access protection (NAP), terminal services and network performance; and integrated new technologies into existing data-center environments.
- Security: Strengthened system/network security and business-continuity planning as a member of company’s security incident response team.
- Troubleshooting: Rectified many issues by instituting best practices in system log analysis, backups, network operating center security, user account/permissions management and systems/software auditing.