10 Items to Pack for A Successful Business Trip
Monster Contributing Writer
Avoid business travel trials and tribulations by making sure you pack everything you’ll need to have a successful business trip:
- Business cards. Pack plenty and keep some within reach at all times. You never know who you may run into or strike up a conversation with and having cards at your fingertips is key to making the most of the impromptu networking opportunities travel offers.
- Case of cords. There are few things more frustrating than realizing on your way to the airport that you forgot a charger. Use a cord case to keep all of your adapters, chargers, cord and cables safely together. It’s not a bad idea to take extras in case you connect with colleagues who need to borrow one.
- Mobile power strip. With all of the mobile gadgets necessary to productive travel these days, it may be difficult to find enough outlets to charge them all. Save yourself the frustration by bringing a mobile power strip that accommodates all your devices for easy charging.
- Mobile broadband. Avoid being frustrated by spotty hotel Internet or getting stuck with no access at all by bringing your own mobile broadband device.
- Travel-friendly threads. When packing business attire avoid bringing any fabric that wrinkles easily, and instead opt for wrinkle-free cotton items or lightweight wool. Keep in mind the amount of time you will spend in meetings and in outside leisure activities and pack accordingly.
- Travel-size toiletries. Save time and energy by packing any personal items that you may need during your trip, including a toothbrush, toothpaste, mouthwash, soap, moisturizer, and any shaving or hair products. Remember that to take liquids and gels in your carry-on luggage, they must be in containers that hold 3.4 ounces or less, all of which must fit in one quart-sized clear bag.
- Lightweight carry-on luggage. A carry-on rolling bag should be sufficient for any light business travel. The maximum size allowed for domestic travel on most U.S. airlines is 22" long x 14" wide x 9" tall (56 cm x 36 cm x 23 cm).
- Travel document organizer. Keep your travel documents well organized and as safe as possible by keeping them all together in a travel document organizer. Travel documents may include tickets, confirmations, itineraries, passport, travel insurance policy, medical cards and list of current prescriptions.
- Relaxation aids. The chaos of travel can often times create discomfort, so comfort yourself by bringing items that help you feel at home. Bring an iPod with your favorite music or a mobile reader with your favorite books.
- Tech accessories. While traveling you will want to be available at all times, so invest in a bluetooth headset to stay connected whether you’re driving around or walking through the airport. Also consider buying some noise canceling headphones to help you tune-out any unwanted noise you may experience while trying to do your work on the go.